There are some jobs that may require you to have occupational health vaccinations, to help protect you against certain diseases during the course of your work duties, e.g. hepatitis B. Your occupational health department should be able to advise you if you require any vaccinations. Alternatively, we can provide a risk assessment and advise what vaccinations are required for occupational health reasons. We are happy to discuss this with you at your consultation in our private vaccination clinic at Woodhouse Medical Practice Leeds.
What workplace vaccinations do we offer?
How many doses?
How long does immunity last?
No further boosters are recommended. However, immunity wanes after approximately 10 years
Who needs it?
This is rarely needed for travel unless residing for >3 months or working in healthcare in a high-risk country.
Dependent on availability
Hepatitis B vaccination
Further information on the hepatitis B vaccine for occupational health reasons
Do I need hepatitis B for work?
The Department of Health has identified the following occupational groups to be at an increased risk of exposure to blood-borne viruses (BBV) and recommends that they be may be immunised against hepatitis B:
- laboratory staff handling biological material that may be contaminated with BBV;
- staff of residential and other accommodation for those with learning difficulties;
- those handling cadavers and other human remains, such as anatomical pathology technologists (APTs), funeral directors, embalmers and pathologists;
- prison service staff in regular contact with inmates; and
- certain members of the emergency frontline services, such as the police, ambulance and fire and rescue services, may require vaccination, but only if local risk assessment indicates a need, and only if occupational health advice supports this requirement.
How many hepatitis B vaccinations will I need?
A course of 3 vaccinations is usually required over a period of 3 months or 6 months.
Will I need a blood test?
All patients who have completed a course of hepatitis B vaccinations for occupational health reasons should have a hepatitis B surface antibody test done 1-4 months after completing the course of vaccinations. This is to check you have responded to the vaccination course and produced the adequate amount of antibodies.
If antibodies have not developed, the hepatitis B vaccination course should be repeated. Our healthcare professional will discuss this with you.
We can arrange for a blood test at our private vaccination clinic. Please email or phone the clinic to ask for a telephone appointment and then we will ring you back to discuss your requirements.
How long will my immunity last?
The immunity will last for a minimum of 20 years if you have shown to have responded to the vaccination course.